Linggo, Setyembre 8, 2013

PNoy signs into law GMA proposal to put safety labels on toys


What was your favorite toy when you were a little youngster? A car, a doll, or whatever it may be, haven’t you realized what is its significance in your life? Or, have you ever considered it a valuable thing in your life?  

     Toys are not just simple, insignificant things. Out of our consciousness, it nurtures our physical, mental, social, and emotional progress. We learn and improve many skills that support us to succeed in life. During our childhood, we were given the time to play on our own and through this, we develop various skills like thinking, speaking, listening, reading and writing skills. We also develop our personality and a sense of responsibility for others.  We learn to communicate our ideas and thoughts, as well as our feelings. We socialize with our playmates or with other person which is a way for us to cooperate in various activities and at the same time, negotiate and resolve conflicts with them too. Aside from being entertained, we realize our capabilities and develop values that give us the chance to understand the world around us.


              But I was saddened with some alarming news that there are instances where there are young people who were choked while playing with their toys and some being intoxicated with it. Questions, then, popped out into my mind: Is it because parents or guardians were too reckless with their choice of toys for their children and were too complacent that they tend to leave their children unattended? Is it because toy manufacturers lack the responsibility of attaching safety labels on their products? Or, is it that our government is too loose in upholding its policies in protecting its youth?

As I was scrolling a particular website for latest news, the news report on “PNoy signs into law GMA proposal to put safety labels on toys” really caught my attention because I am one of those who will be directly affected of such law.

                  I highly appreciate this newly signed Republic Act 10620, or the “Toy and Game Safety Labeling Act of 2013”. This is for the protection of the rights of children who are most vulnerable to the hazards of the falsely labeled toys. As consumers, we will be able to know the safety precautions and the contents comprising for each toy.

               Every time I go home in Mati, I always bring with me a “pasalubong” for my younger brother and my nephew. They always tell me to buy new toys for them because they are fond of it. Before, it is too risky for me to choose the toy that I will buy because of incomplete information labeled on those products and I have this doubt whether it is safe or not. So instead of buying toys, I prefer buying them food, which I know will be less appreciated by them because they keep on requesting me to buy new toys. Here I can apply the second principle of economics which is “the cost of something is what you give up to get it.” The opportunity cost for me in buying them food is the contentment they will get when I buy them new toys. I have no choice but to sacrifice their happiness rather than putting them into danger.

            If this law will be realized a few years from now, I will have a sound choice of what toy I will buy or not and what product to avoid because of the complete information attached on each product. This time, I will less worry about the safety of my little youngsters and they will be happy because I will be able to grant their request of buying them new toys.

            Another principle of economics that is applicable to such instance is the seventh principle, which is “governments can sometimes improve market outcomes.” We cannot deny the fact that markets usually fail in upholding the welfare of consumers because of the impact of externalities on the part of these unaware consumers. So, to ensure the safety and welfare of its people, especially the youth, sometimes, there is a need for the government to intervene in the activities in the market. This newly signed policy will help in the decision-making and interaction of consumers and producers as well as in making them become productive.

            The distribution of these products in our country, in these cases the toys, will be regulated so, it is safer as to the coming in and out of such products in our country. Those hazardous toys will be banned and will surely be withdrawn from the market. Thus, we consumers can refrain from patronizing such dangerous toys.

     But on the other hand, the implementation of such law would be a burden on the part of the toy manufacturers as well as the small business owners of toys. This will be an additional cost for them. They will have to pull out the items that do not reach the standards of the law pertaining to the precautions needed to be attached on every item. There will be an additional cost on the processing and redistributing of the toys. There is also a need to consider the time. Small business owners will have to wait for an extended time for the toys to be completely labeled and to be ready for sale.

          As I have also watched from the news, toy sellers reacted to this law signed by the president that mandated the need to put safety labels on toys. They said that the government is too late in proclaiming the law since they already ordered for the past few months numerous items. The demand for “under-quality” but affordable toys starts to rise since the Christmas season is fast approaching. But if the government will really push through in implementing the law, they will be forced to delay the selling of those toys in order to comply with the standards.

         There will also be a negative impact on my part as a regular buyer of toys. Since manufacturers will be forced to withdraw their products in the market and will reprocess them in order to reach the standards mandated by the law, it is probable that the pricing of their products will increase. This will be an additional cost for me in buying those products. Possibly, some items will not be affordable for me because of my limited budget.

         We, consumers, react to the changes in the pricing system. Whenever the price of toys increases, the demand for it falls. So, the market for toys will weaken. Of course to be more practical, if toys start to become expensive, we tend to find other substitutes for it. Thus, the demand for toy substitutes will strengthen.

       From these impacts of the newly-signed law by President Benigno Aquino III, I would want to give few recommendations as to the betterment of this policy.

First for the parents or guardians, I hope that they will be vigilant in their choice of toys for their children. I suggest that they should read all the safety precautions, contents, and the required ages attached on each toy before buying it so that they will not be misled of the proper toys that fit for their kids and as to ensure the safety of their kids. They should also take full attention on their kids when these little people are enjoying playing with their toys to guard them and to easily notice unexpected situations to happen like choking.


Second for the toy manufacturers, I hope that they will be responsible enough of their obligations as the makers of toys. I suggest that they should include all necessary information in their products in order not to fail the government’s expectations from them and to be able to continue attracting potential consumers who will be patronizing their products. They should comply with all the requirements so as to make their business legal and reliable.

Lastly for the government, I hope that they will be able to sustain their goal of protecting the people. I suggest that the department who will be accountable for the new law will be strict enough in implementing the law but at the same time, the imposed punishments and fines for the violators will be justifiable and humane. After the given grace period of one year, they should start to inspect toy establishments to see to it that they have complied with the requirements and if the sellers failed to do so, they should make a move as to how to reprimand such violation. In this way, they will not be considered passive law givers.

Image sources: www.google.com


                                      http://www.littlefluffytoys.com

                                                                               

 

 

 

 




2 komento: